Dianne Skoll wrote on 22/08/16 8:56 AM:
> And... why can't a set contain itself?

It can't in standard modern set theory (ZFC), through the foundation axioms,
also known as the axiom of regularity
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiom_of_regularity
which is a formulation that allows set theory to avoid Russell's Paradox.
(see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFC)

Just like Euclidean Geometry has the axiom that parallel lines never meet, and
you get various non-euclidean geometries by changing that axiom, there are
non-standard set theories that do not include the axiom of regularity, in
which there can be sets that include themselves.

None of that is relevant to the discussion of Marc Perkel's ideas because he
is talking about sets of tokens from email (or sets of potential tokens?) not
sets that contain sets. And all he needs to do with his infinite sets is be
able to test if a token is in it, which is easy to do since the set is defined
as the complement of a finite set. (I'm not saying this to agree with the
method as good or to argue against it. I'm one of those people he mentions who
understands how Bayesian spam filtering works who has yet to wrap my head
around what he is presenting - For now I'm staying agnostic about it until I
do understand it better).

 Sidney