On 8/22/2016 9:15 PM, Alex wrote:
Has anyone configured it as a local caching nameserver, and if so,
could you share your config?

Correct me if I'm wrong... but...

I'm almost positive that rbldnsd acts ONLY as an authoritative name server, and not ever as a caching name server. I don't think there is functionality to either fetch root hints or to do catch-all forwarding to an upstream DNS server for just any host names. Instead, it only serves up the zones that it is specifically told to serve at startup, using the physical source data files to which those zones point.

It was designed from the ground up only to serve as a dumbed down locally hosted DNS, only for serving DNSBLs where the data files are found locally. It makes up for the lack of more extensive DNS features with blazing speed and very low memory overhead.

--
Rob McEwen