On Mon, 3 Oct 2016, Axb wrote:

On 10/03/2016 09:03 PM, John Hardin wrote:
 On Mon, 3 Oct 2016, Axb wrote:

>  On 10/03/2016 07:46 PM, Alex wrote:
> >   Hi,
> >   you're receiving these too, and they're not always being caught by
> >   RBLs or virus scanners. Or even our well-trained bayes.
> >   not performing well now at all.
> >   raise awareness about their existence.

 Agreed, but *phishing* PDFs are appropriate to detect, as are 419 scam
 PDFs (which I am starting to see).

John,

That sample has an attached bulk_inquiry_317141.doc
not a PDF.

Yeah. I was (too) quickly responding to "phishing" and "PDF" in the subject line, and bayes not catching them.

ClamAV is probably the correct approach to macro-based malware, unless we want to do a MS Office document plugin with something like an eval for has_macros().

I haven't looked at the spample doc in detail, but I will (again) plug my email sanitizer, which does document macro scanning and might be able to catch these:

   http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/procmail-security.html

Some of the approaches there could probably be usefully extracted to SA plugins.

  Your mouse has moved. Your Windows Operating System must be
  relicensed due to this hardware change. Please contact Microsoft
  to obtain a new activation key. If this hardware change results in
  added functionality you may be subject to additional license fees.
  Your system will now shut down. Thank you for choosing Microsoft.
 286 days since the first successful real return to launch site (SpaceX)