On 10/18/2016 9:09 PM, Alex wrote:
How do you then enter ranges? For example, one of the rbldnsd zone
examples I've seen have entries such as:
1.168.160.0-255
That does not look to be in reverse order, as the host octet is still last.

while there may be a more complicated and unusual answer for this.. the short answer is... you don't, and you shouldn't have to.

(1) IPs at the base of clickable links inside the body of the message in spams... is still a little rare... comprising roughly 2% of all such listings.

(2) This means that (a) those IPs aren't taking up a lot of space in the dnset files, when compared to the domains and host names there, and (b) of that ~2% of IPs, extremely few of those are even in the same /24 block - so you don't get much mileage out of trying to list ranges

having said that... sending-IP lists that use ipset DO have the functionality that you desire. ipset actually has quite a number of acceptable formats to list blocks or ranges of IPs.

iptset... not so much. iptset is built for EXTRA speed and EXTRA low-memory usage, but isn't as flexible and generally requires one single IP per line.

Based on your question, it could be that you're trying to merge your sending IP blacklist, with your URI/domain blacklists... all into one single dnset rbldnsd file? if so, that is NOT recommended. It causes problems and removes some of rbldnsd best features/strengths.

Your service is great, btw.

Thanks. Please send me a note off-list as you how/why you think that. I'm not looking for praise... just curious if you're one of my clients (such as at your dayjob?) or if we've crossed paths somewhere and I forgot about it?... or if you have ever testing invaluement? etc (though I know you're a frequent SA discussion participant)

--
Rob McEwen
http://www.invaluement.com