On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 13:48:32 +0100
Peter Smith wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm playing around with sa-compile in an attempt to improve
> performance, but I have a couple of questions that I can't find
> answered in the online docs.
>
> 1) After compiling, my compiled ruleset is stored in
> /var/lib/spamassassin/compiled/5.014/3.004001. Do I now need to
> remove my rules from /etc/mail/spamassassin/

You don't need to remove anything.

The stock rules aren't stored there anyway, it's just local rules.

> 3) If it's correct to keep my uncompiled rules
> in /etc/mail/spamassassin, what happens if these rules are modified?
> Does spamassassin spot the change and invalidate the compiled rules,
> or will it carry on using the compiled version (until I recompile) ?

IIRC, it loops through the body rules parsed-out of the various .cf
files, if there is a valid binary version of a rule, it's used,
otherwise the rule is evaluated in perl. So changes should get
picked-up and deleted rules shouldn't be run.

However, unless you are using very low-end hardware, you might as well
rerun sa-compile.