Hi,

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 3:45 PM, John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jul 2017, Alex wrote:
>
>> It's just a short body with a URI which downloads malware. We got hit
>> by this pretty hard. This is where the real threats are. Receive one
>> of these to an Exchange distribution list and your reputation with the
>> customer suffers badly.
>
> Defense in depth. For that sort of thing you also need dynamic blocking of
> the malware hosts (as much as is possible) in either your site web proxy (if
> you have one) or your firewall rules.

Yes, absolutely. We have scripts that can be used to populate a local
RBLs that extract the from, IPs, etc, and provide the ability to drop
them into a postfix client_access blocklist. It's easy to stop them
after the fact.

The problem (in this case) was that they were received over the course
of a few days during the 4th holiday, then we got burnt when everyone
came back to the office. Generally, though, there could be ten
malicious emails received, a handful will actually click, while others
report them, which is enough to tarnish reputation.

When there's a small handful of malicious emails that make it through,
among hundreds of thousands received per day, it's just not possible
to go through them. A more automated or assisted method is necessary,
or better protection to begin with...