On 2017-08-14 20:08, Scott wrote:

> I would like to turn around and put those individual messages back
> into mbox format, again, without changing their original headers.

The first question is: why?  sa-learn works on just about any format:
individual messages, multiple messages in a flat directory, maildirs.

If in spite of the above you _must_ have a mbox file, I would just setup
a trivial procmail config (maybe even an empty one, supplemented with
one or two environment variables including DEFAULT) and pipe the
messages through procmail one by one.

You probably need the -f option to force generation of the From_ mbox
delimiter.