On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 12:02:23 -0500
Shivram Krishnan <rorryk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the response Bill. I have got a couple of responses from
> this group, which agree with what you are saying - they have their
> own custom techniques to prevent spam and reduce false positives.  If
> thats the case, who uses third-party generated blacklists?

I think you'll find a lot of people use them.  My instincts tell me the
userbase falls into three sets of administrators:

1) Admins of large organizations that can afford reputable lists like Spamhaus,
etc. and use them.

2) Admins of tiny mail servers who are highly aggressive and use
blacklists like kids popping candy and who don't care overly-much
about false positives.

3) Admins of small to medium organizations who use commercial
anti-spam filters or commercial email hosts that make use of
blacklists by default, and who probably don't really understand the
ramifications of using blacklists.

My $0.02: Blacklists can be useful, but I would never reject based solely
on an IP being blacklisted.  Also, I don't use third-party blacklists, though
I do use a set of DNSBLs that my company controls.

Regards,

Dianne.