I've tried that with every combination of file://... I can think of and I keep getting errors. the disk layout is:
drive D (Windows XP)
d:\archive - normal directory
under archive there are multiple repositories, each representing a separate project.
I've created a new repository
svnadmin create d:\MyArchive
I created a directory tree to mirror what I want:
d:\temp
d:\temp\proj1
d:\temp\proj1\trunk
d:\temp\proj1\branches
d:\temp\proj1\tags
d:\temp\proj2
d:\temp\proj2\trunk
d:\temp\proj2\branches
d:\temp\proj2\tags
From d:\temp I ran
svn import . file:///MyArchive
svn list file:///MyArchive shows the project files

Now, how do I get d:\archive\proj1 into d:\MyArchive\proj1\trunk?
Here is what I am getting

D:\archive>svn mv file:///archive/proj1 file:///MyArchive/proj1/trunk
svn: Source and dest appear not to be in the same repository (src: 'file:///archive/crbuild'; dst: 'file:///MyArchive/crbuild/trunk')

Bob Archer wrote:
Thanks for the response. This I can do. However, what I want is to get
all of the history etc. into the trunk so that it looks like the
repository was created properly to start with. The svn mkdir and mv
commands do not work in the repository itself, only in the working copy.

Sure they do... check out svn help mv:

  SRC and DST can both be working copy (WC) paths or URLs:
    WC  -> WC:   move and schedule for addition (with history)
    URL -> URL:  complete server-side rename.
  All the SRCs must be of the same type.

The mv will retain all the history.
If you are on windows you can use the TortoiseSVN repo browser. It makes stuff
like this very easy.

BOb