David Aldrich wrote:
My suspicion is that the error is an indication of a timeout that happens because we use per-directory authorisation in Apache. I saw an article that suggested that setting SVNPathAuthz off in httpd.conf may fix this problem. Unfortunately, we must use per-directory authorisation because our project includes customer-confidential information that must be hidden from some teams.
I had similar problem and I believe the solution is in the list archive.

Add this to your location definition in the Apache config:

  LimitXMLRequestBody 0

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#limitxmlrequestbody

Regards
Olivier