Mon, 8 Nov 2010 11:52:27 +0000, /Giulio Troccoli/:

Lots of people here use either TortoiseMerge or WinMerge for
conflict resolution. But now I have a requirement to provide
something similar for a Linux platform and I thought of kdiff3.

I there anyone else that uses as well? I have install it but I
would like some advice on how to call it. I know it can take two
or three files, but I'm not sure why (i.e. what's the difference)
and which files to "feed" it with and in what order.

I use KDiff3 to resolve conflicts in conjunction with the command-line svn client on Windows (it works really well), by specifying a batch (shell) script to the 'merge-tool-cmd' option in the "config" file:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.confarea.html#svn.advanced.confarea.opts.config

The script takes care to launch KDiff3 with the appropriate arguments which are made available to this wrapper script in some predefined order. See also:

"Using External Differencing and Merge Tools" <http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.externaldifftools.html>

"Resolving conflict differences interactively" <http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.tour.cycle.html#svn.tour.cycle.resolve.resolve>:

To use a merge tool, you need to either set the SVN_MERGE
environment variable or define the merge-tool-cmd option in your
Subversion configuration file (see the section called
“Configuration Options” for more details). Subversion will pass
four arguments to the merge tool: the BASE revision of the file,
the revision of the file received from the server as part of the
update, the copy of the file containing your local edits, and the
merged copy of the file (which contains conflict markers). If your
merge tool is expecting arguments in a different order or format,
you'll need to write a wrapper script for Subversion to invoke.

--
Stanimir