On 11/27/10 3:59 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Les Mikesell!

thanks for having responded.
Can I file a feature request for that in the issue tracker,
what do you think?

@Ryan: Of course with a peg rev I can log that single rev. But the
rev number of that rev is that what we are looking for! To find out
this rev number, we want to use an earlier peg rev where we know
that the file still existed and want to add "-r1:head" as operative
revs to see all revs including the rev where the file was deleted.

The deletion should show in an 'svn log -v' of the directory where the file was
deleted.

That directory was deleted as well. As well, at unknown revision. Multiple
times.

The question is not that we can work around the issue, the question is, why
Subversion can't do this for us?

Because the file doesn't exist in the revision where it was deleted so there's nothing for the log to be about. The change for that rev happened in the directory above.

I can understand that it's not easy to track deletes/copies forward, but
tracking history from creation time to deletion(renamind implies
deletion) time should be possible IMO.

It is not that it isn't tracked. It just isn't tracked where you are looking for it.

And this should be possible without user's guesswork. It's fairly simple to
find correct revision range in repository with 40 commits.
In repository with 40,000 commits things became "a bit" scary.

Subversion tracks things backwards from a starting point that is either something that exists or a peg revision where it did exist. You can find where things were deleted with a 'log -v' of a directory high enough in the repository to contain the change, then use the previous revision as the peg rev for the thing you want to log from there back while it existed.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikes...@gmail.com