On 6/14/2011 8:15 AM, Richard Cavell wrote:
More noob questions about svn...

1. Is using externals a good idea?

I've been told that it's generally a bad idea, and it feels to me like a
bad idea, since it obfuscates what's going on in the repo. Is it often
done for professional projects?

The place for externals is where you have components/libraries that are shared among multiple projects. Using externals that you can pin to particular tags/releases of the components will let you decouple the development work so you don't break one project while improving shared component features for a different one. If you don't have any shared components, there's not much point - and you probably want to avoid single-file externals since they are not as flexible.

2. Is there a means of keeping part of a file private? eg

My password is xxxxxx

where on my machine, the x's are replaced by some alphanumeric sequence,
but someone who checks out the repo will not get the complete file.

No, you have to omit those things completely and have some other mechanism to deal with getting the right values configured at or before runtime.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikes...@gmail.com