On Jun 14, 2011, at 08:15, Richard Cavell wrote:

> 1.  Is using externals a good idea?
>
> I've been told that it's generally a bad idea, and it feels to me like a bad
> idea, since it obfuscates what's going on in the repo.  Is it often done for
> professional projects?

Using *file* externals might be considered to be a bad idea, due to the many
peculiar behaviors and missing features they have when compared to traditional
directory externals. I've made a mental note that I won't be using file
externals. Directory externals are fine though if you know what you're doing,
and I've used them in a few projects.