"database is locked" is the error SQLite would give when it tries to write to a
database (.svn/wc.db) on which some other process already has a write-lock.
The SQLite documentation:

http://www.sqlite.org/atomiccommit.html
http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html

states SQLite relies on POSIX advisory locks.  Do those locks (fcntl() locks,
if I read the source correctly) work correctly in your environment?