> Old BDB-backed repositories stored the older revision as fulltext and
> newer revisions as deltas.

Really? Here is a quotation from SVN 1.4.6 libsvn_fs_base/note/structure:
"At present, Subversion generally stores
the youngest strings in "fulltext" form, and older strings as "delta"s
against them (unless the delta would save no space compared to the
fulltext).
"
My own experiments with SVN 1.4 code confirm that.