On Apr 17, 2012, at 13:34, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:08 PM, James French wrote:
>>
>> I would say that it is up to the user to check their commit and if it
>> contains unwanted files then that fact should be visible to them and they
>> can un-add them and set up an ignore if appropriate.
>
> Sorry, but no.  A user can't ever un-add something he has committed to
> a repository.  And it is an unreasonable amount of admin time/work for
> the administrator to do it with an svnadmin dump/filter/load cycle.
>
>> Silently failing to add important files I think is worse because you simply
>> don't know that its happened until something goes wrong later.
>
> But you just said the user was supposed to check...  It is easy to add
> the missed files, but you can't un-add.

Well, yes you can un-add something:

Add:

$ svn add foo
A         foo

Un-add:

$ svn revert foo
Reverted 'foo'

There are several places where this information can be found by Googling "svn
unadd".

But if you commit the addition:

$ svn add foo
A         foo
$ svn ci foo -m x
Adding         foo
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 1.

Then you're right you can't un-commit that; you'd have to reverse merge, and
there'd be a permanent record of it in the repository.