Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com> writes:

> Neither choice 'feels' quite right to me unless you have an
> intermediate branch to make the change.  That is, if you make it on
> the trunk before you copy to the tag you break the likely continuing
> work on the trunk that expects the externals to also follow trunk
> components.   And if you change it in the tag you are breaking the
> convention that you don't change tags.   And if you copy the working
> copy to a tag you might get other changes in the tag that weren't
> committed anywhere else.    Is there a 'best practice' consensus for
> this step?

You could write a script using svnmucc so that the copy and the property
change happen in the same commit.  We do something like that when
tagging Subversion, we edit a header when we make a tag:

$ svn log -vq --stop-on-copy
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/tags/1.7.8
r1419826 | breser | 2012-12-10 22:01:28 +0000 (Mon, 10 Dec 2012)
Changed paths:
   A /subversion/tags/1.7.8 (from /subversion/branches/1.7.x:1419691)
   M /subversion/tags/1.7.8/subversion/include/svn_version.h

http://www.wandisco.com/subversion/download