,,,
>>  Let me propose this:
>>
>>  For QA, let them do a simple modified working copy to get the svn:externals
> where you want them; but then they are not allowed to commit or make other
> changes.
>
> Won't work - it has to be committed somewhere or it won't be built.

Perhaps then you need a different tool.
For example, git-svn[1] is might be what you want.

When something is ready for QA it is pushed to a git repository for Jenkins to
pick up.
How you change the externals in the process I'm not sure; but it would at least
give you
a trackable repository that would mimick a modified working copy.

Otherwise I think you're out of luck if you don't want to (i) commit to trunk,
or (ii) create a branch,
but still want to track it in the repository somehow.

Ben

[1] https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html