No one else remember the old "Satan" monitoring toolkit, that had an
option to change the displayed name and icon to "Santa"?

The name "Subversion" has enough positive reputation that changing
it, just to avoid NSA style monitoring, seems very destabilizing to a
popular project. Let's not change it.

We get around this whole issue with our users by either always saying "Subversion" instead of "subversion" so that it's clear we're talking about a proper noun instead of a verb. Or by just using "SVN".