From: Ryan Schmidt [mailto:subversion-2...@ryandesign.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:41 PM
To: John Maher
Cc: Subversion Users
Subject: Re: subversion won’t add new files

On Sep 24, 2014, at 11:14 AM, John Maher wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.  Not sure why you wish to post opinions or think it's
> clear when the book says "Send changes from your working copy to the
> repository" when I make a change in my working copy and it is ignored.  Don't
> take it personal if a user does not understand something.  And just because
> you understand something does not make it clear.  It just makes it clear to
> you.
>
> But none the less, thank you for explaining the weird behavior, it was very
> helpful.

Tone is not always easy to infer in email, but I'm not taking anything
personally. I am just a Subversion user, just like you; this list is for
Subversion users to help other Subversion users use and understand the
software. In my case, I have about 10 years of experience using Subversion,
which is why I mentioned my opinions about the tool and its documentation. I
understand you're frustrated that the tool isn't working the way you expected,
which is why I wanted to give you the benefit of my experience to let you know
that Subversion is in fact a quality tool, but like other complex software, it
is important to understand how it works, which is what the Subversion Book and
other documentation (and this list) are there to help you with.

The passage you quoted, "Send changes from your working copy to the
repository", is from Chapter 9 of the book:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.ref.svn.c.commit.html

This is a very late section of the book, supposed to give you a quick reminder
of specific commands, after you've already learned how to use the tool; it's
not an appendix though it might as well be. To learn how to use the tool, read
the earlier chapters of the book, such as Chapter 1: Fundamental Concepts and
Chapter 2: Basic Usage.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.basic.html

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.tour.html

Hopefully this will give you a good understanding of how to use Subversion
effectively and you'll come to enjoy using it as much as I do.

You can also send feedback about the book to its authors; their contact
information is on the book's main page:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com