I was going to chime in earlier, but something in Brane’s response finally put
me over the edge.  We are having a very similar error when updating over VPN
(the problem does not occur when in the office):

Summary of conflicts:
  Text conflicts: 1
svn: E175002: REPORT request on '/hepd/Shelby/!svn/me’ failed

The issue occurs while trying to do a merge, and it happens at the point in
time when a few large binaries (which take noticeably longer when doing an “svn
up”  because of their size) are processed.  The reason I am replying is that we
do have a load balancer in front of our pair of Subversion servers.  I hope
this helps to shed some light on this issue.

Alfred