On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 11:42 PM, Andry <an...@inbox.ru> wrote:
> Hello Users,
>
> Original issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SVN-4681
>
> Just discovered a really strange case where exactly titled command bring
> really slow response.
>
> The repository contains more than 1000 revisions. The WC is in the middle,
> say at rev 1193 (the current), the show log shows 1191 at the last revision,
> the HEAD revision say 1300.
> Trying to cd into WC directory and run the command. Needs about 1 minute  to
> wait it's response. The Process Hacker shows traffic with the server up to
> about 2MB.
>
> If try to run command w/o -R flag - command returns immediately.
>
> The content of the externals property without the -R flag is:
> https://domain.ab/svn/proj2/trunk - ^/../proj3/trunk/cmake cmake_proj3
> ^/solutions/project1/sdk proj2-sdk
>
> The content of the externals property with the -R flag is:
> https://domain.ab/svn/proj2/trunk - ^/../proj3/trunk/cmake cmake_proj3
> ^/solutions/project1/sdk proj2-sdk
> https://domain.ab/svn/proj2/trunk/proj2-gui -
> https://domain.ab/svn/proj2/trunk/proj2-gui/lib/Resource/Files -
>
> I think the 2 last records draws the svn mad and it begin to crawl the server
> for something for about 1 minute.
>
> I tries variations of the command. For example all these having the same
> result as above:
> svn pget svn:externals -r "1193" "https://domain.ab/svn/proj2/trunk"; -R
> --non-interactive
> svn pget svn:externals -r "1193" "https://domain.ab/svn/proj2/trunk@1193"; -R
> --non-interactive
> svn pget svn:externals "https://domain.ab/svn/proj2/trunk@1193"; -R
> --non-interactive
>
> Dig a bit further and found this:
> svn info https://domain.ab/svn/proj2/trunk/proj2-gui
> svn: warning: W170000: URL 'https://domain.ab/svn/proj2/trunk/proj2-gui'
> non-existent in revision 1300
> svn: E200009: Could not display info for all targets because some targets
> don't exist
>
> Seems the 2 last records reference URL's what does not exist anymore in the
> HEAD.
>
> These 2 records are left after an upgrade from a previous version of
> database, but why is the svn runs so slow about it? Anyway, i can't just
> cleanup the externals because they are from 3dparty repository in which i
> have no access.

Thanks for bringing the issue here to the list.

First a couple questions to get our context right: what version of svn
on the client and on the server? Is there a slow network between
client and server, or are they on the same LAN?

Just as background: svn:externals definitions can also optionally take
a peg revision (the @REV notation) [1], [2]. Maybe in the future you
can use the peg revision syntax to avoid this problem of the "external
source" disappearing at some point in history.

[1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.externals.html
[2] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.pegrevs.html

--
Johan