On 5/31/2017 9:18 AM, Alfred von Campe wrote:
After many years of development, we have over 100 entries in the svn:mergeinfo property of our trunk. I am thinking about manually editing the property to remove entries for all branches that have been deleted or are no longer used (and should be deleted). I am hoping that once I merge trunk into the other active branches, the cleanup of that property will also propagate to the other branches.

So my questions are:

  * Is this safe to do?
  * Will the changes to the properly be merged to all other branches
    over time as one would expect?

Thanks,
Alfred

I have done this in the past. mergeinfo got so large it was visibly hurting performance. There may have also been svn command crashes but it's been several years. I just deleted the mergeinfo property, starting over.

If you are basically merging from branches back to a development trunk the lack of mergeinfo shouldn't hurt. Do watch that the next time you merge a branch into the trunk it doesn't merge the whole huge mergeinfo back into the branch.

Personally I've never had much use for mergeinfo. Since the development model I work with is to create a branch, make changes, then commit the branch changes into the trunk, I generally revert any mergeinfo change during the merge before committing the change to the trunk since the fact something was done in a branch (which won't be reused) isn't useful information, each change looks like it was developed and committed onto the trunk.

Tom