Renzo Rosales wrote on Fri, Mar 05, 2021 at 14:53:02 +0000:
> We have a few remote users who are unable to run "svn up" to an internal
> server in specific paths in a repository but can access others. The error is
> "svn: E730054: Error running context: An existing connection was forcibly
> closed by the remote host." The server is in the US and some of the users are
> in Russia, they communicate with the server over a VPN not using NAT. If they
> use Putty to create a SSH port forward to the server, they can run svn up
> without error.

In the Putty case, what URL scheme do they use over the port forward?

> The rule that allows traffic to traverse the VPN does not have any network
> filtering in place. I know this server has an OS release and software dated
> from 2011 and 2012 (details below), the httpd access logs don't show any
> issues (HTTP code 200 and 207), the error log is bare and does not show a
> relevant entry that shows why a sync was blocked or not permitted.
>
> What are some suggestions on where I can look to better troubleshoot the
> issue?

Run `svn up` over SSH port forwarding then `svn up -r BASE` over the
VPN.  That should be a no-op update.  Does it fail the same way?  What
about, say, `svn ls -r BASE --depth=empty`?  (That's a network
operation)

Check not just the httpd error log but also the system one, in case it's
a packet filter or firewall that killed the connection (notwithstanding
the rule you've reviewed).

Also, naturally, what's the common thread to the paths that fail, and to
the paths that don't.

> Would a packet capture help me identify what is going on? If so, what should
> I look for in the capture?

Well, there might be a clue in there.  Look for whether it was a FIN or
a RST, and what happened immediately before it — e.g., silence
(suggesting some sort of timeout), or client→server data, or
server→client data.

Cheers,

Daniel