Sorry for the confusion. By "repo" I mean the working copy that a user
checks out. Svn1.6.x used to follow symlinks when checking out a copy, but
since svn1.7.x all checked out directories must reside on the same file
system (i.e. no symlinks or mount points).  As many stackoverflow users
have pointed out, this is rather inconvenient.
regards,
--Zhao