On May 4, 2021, at 17:40, Mark Phippard wrote:

> On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 1:56 PM Reto Hoehener wrote:
>>
>> I uninstalled Homebrew Subversion and tried with MacPorts, but no luck
>> (the library seems to be build for amd64). So back to square one.
>>
>> sudo port install subversion
>> sudo port -N install subversion-javahlbindings
>> sudo mkdir -p /Library/Java/Extensions
>> sudo ln -s /opt/local/lib/libsvnjavahl-1.dylib
>> /Library/Java/Extensions/libsvnjavahl-1.dylib (note: opt not usr)
>>
>> Opening the Eclipse SVN preferences showed me this error:
>> Failed to load JavaHL Library.
>> These are the errors that were encountered:
>> no libsvnjavahl-1 in java.library.path:
>> /Users/reto/Library/Java/Extensions:/Library/Java/Extensions:/Network/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java:.
>> /opt/local/lib/libsvnjavahl-1.0.dylib:
>> dlopen(/opt/local/lib/libsvnjavahl-1.0.dylib, 1): no suitable image
>> found.  Did find:
>>     /opt/local/lib/libsvnjavahl-1.0.dylib: mach-o, but wrong
>> architecture
>
> I think you might have the opposite problem.
>
> The last time I looked, Eclipse did not support Apple Silicon yet so
> you have to run it using Rosetta and the Intel JVM. This means that
> the JVM can only load native libraries that are the same architecture.
> So you actually need Subversion and the JavaHL library compiled for
> Intel processors.
>
> I have held off on installing Eclipse on my Mac until it supports Apple
> Silicon.

In that case, the solution in MacPorts would be to install the port with the
+universal variant which will build it for multiple architectures:

sudo port install subversion-javahlbindings +universal

but I have not verified whether this works specifically for this port (and its
dependencies) on Apple Silicon systems.