Hi, Thanks for your response.

But I'm trying to copy the contents from one directory to another new
directory within one repository itself like below:
svn copy <repo_root>/dir/subdir1  <repo_root>/dir/subdir2

The interesting part is that if I omit the -m option, svn automatically
opens up the editor and waits for the log message. if I put the message
there and close the editor window, it completes the copy operation without
any error. It complains if the message text is supplied on the command line
with -m option.

Thanks!
Ranajit