On Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 2:00 PM Johan Corveleyn <jcor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 11:05 AM Magnus Lyrberg
> <magnus.lyrb...@elk-studios.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 4:51 PM Johan Corveleyn <jcor...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 2:21 PM Magnus Lyrberg
> > >
> > > Maybe you can give svndumpfilter [1] a try to filter out the "cruft"
> > > (after creating a dump file from the original repository).

> > Unfortunately 'svnadmin load' ignores the revision information in the
> dump
> > file. If the new repository is empty it will start with revision 1
> > regardless of
> > what the dump file says.
> >
> > I made a quick test to verify this:
> >
> > svnadmin load /var/svn/repo2 < partial_dump.dump
> > <<< Started new transaction, based on original revision 7
> >      * adding path : test.txt ... done.
> >
> > ------- Committed new rev 1 (loaded from original rev 7) >>>
>
> But what is partial_dump.dump? Can you show us the exact commands you
> used to create it?
>
> Did you create this by dumping only revisions 7 and 8 from the
> original repository, as in 'svnadmin dump /path/to/orig_repos -r7:8 >
> partial_dump.dump'? In that case, it is expected to behave like you
> described.
>
> Or did you create it by dumping the entire repository, and then
> svndumpfilter-ing out the unneeded stuff, as in 'svnadmin dump
> /path/to/orig_repos | svndumpfilter exclude /path/to/unneededstuff >
> partial_dump.dump'?
>
> It is the last technique that I was suggesting, and I would expect
> that to retain all the existing revision numbers (some revisions might
> become empty revs because of the filtering, but they should still
> "count").

You are completely correct that the partial_dump.dump contained only
revision 7 and 8, and that a filtered dump like you suggest will result in
the correct revision number in the new repository. This does however
also result in a number of empty revisions (dummy commits as I called
them in the initial mail), which is what we want to avoid.

What we would like to achieve is to have the current HEAD, without the
history, in a new repository while still maintaining the revision number.
Preferably without (quite a lot of) empty commits.

Best regards
Magnus Lyrberg