On Sun, 26 May 2024 10:24:27 -0000, Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org> wrote:

>> WebSVN is still actively maintained (version 2.8.4 was released 2 months
>> ago) and offers the features you're looking for (view files, logs and
>> diffs) and more.
>>
>> I'm not aware of any screenshots, but installing it for evaluation
>> purposes is reasonably straightforward.
>
>More or less solve maintainer of WebSVN here. I try to keep it alive with
>fixes and small improvements for the entire community. Thought, I cannot
>compare it to ViewVC, never used.
>
>> For small to medium-scale projects, I find it a really helpful addition
>> to the Subversion server. For large-scale projects with more than a
>> thousand branches or tags, performance will become an issue.
>
>Yes, that is a long standing problem [1] I'd like to solve, but cannot ATM due
>to lack of time and knowledge in that area.
>
>Michael

Thanks for the explanation!

Our repository contains a fair number of projects organized as:
"project type"/"project name"/trunk,branches,tags

The "project type" level consists of 11 named type directories.
Below each type are the actual project directories with the project name as the
dir name.
And within each project we start with trunk-tags-branches dirs until we get to
the actual data.

There ia usually just 1 or 2 persons working on each project.

And the number of commits are rather limited as well as the tags and branches.
The latter are mostly non-existing or just a handful.

My problem with ApacheSVN interface:

With the Apache SVN installation where I keep the backups (using svnsync) it is
not possible to display the top level so the project types can be shown and
stepped into.

I just get a "Forbidden" error if I try to use the URL that should get me to the
top.

If I know the top level name I can get to a navigable list and drill down from
there.

So all other levels I can navigate with the web browser, but there is not much
one can do there, for instance viewing the log message tree for a file etc.

And if I click a file in the list it will be downloaded to my PC rather than
shown on screen. I expected it to show up on screen to be viewed (if it is a
text file).

This is what I would like to be able to do as well as diffing revisions of a
file etc.

Questions:
1) Does WebSVN need to be installed as part of the SVN installation on Linux or
is it just a different way to navigate the repository such that it could in fact
run on a *different* computer than the SVN server?

2) Is WebSVN strictly a read-only tool, i.e. it does not try to write anything
into the repository?

TIA

--
Bo Berglund