Interesting... How can an applet be a viable alternative if it needs a JVM to run, and Windoz comes without it. I think this problem needs to be solved first if applets/JWS are to come back into fashion.

-Serge

Konstantin Ignatyev wrote:

Paul Cantrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Horrible, horrible, GridBagLayout.... I loathe it. What an awful mess. CSS is so many thousands of times nicer for doing layout....

Couple of wrapper functions to constraints make it very easy to use, not to
mention  that it is very easy to arrange components in UI editor like NetBeans.

And if you do not like it, then there is plenty of layout managers for Swing http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Javadesktop/3thParty

I am sympathetic to the "applets not Javascript" argument, though. "Applets with CSS layout" would be especially nice.

But applets don't integrate well with the flow of the web: like Flash- based sites, you can't bookmark them, search engines can't index them, etc.

I was talking at conceptual level, by no means I consider current state of Applets to be ideal. But the problems you have mentioned are very common for all kinds of stateful techniques: Tapestry, heavy Ajax applilications, Echo2, and I guess GWT. Even if continuation is used it is still hard to do, for example fhat good will it do if we will be able to bookmark a purchasing transaction in the middle?
On Flash - the technology does not make sense at all: it is crippled and
simplified JVM that runs one Flash VM per  Flash that quickly brings any comp
on the knees when number of flashes grows beyond 10. Not to mention inability
to share and reuse fllash libraries on client. And if they will try to
implement all that in the Flash VM then it will be as heavy as Java. If Java RT
was modular then Applets would be able to do everything that Flash does but
more efficiently.

There are limits to what they're good for. If there were a good way to attach Java to a page's DOM, then we'd be cooking.

I do not think so. We  will be still dependent on browser's abilities, and IMO
emerging trends indicate that people want to break free from limitations of
HTML and browser while being able to make use of it.
I wonder how limited GWT is in this respect? Tapestry works very hard to respect the client's control of their browser.