4.  It doesn't lend itself to the separation of concerns between UI design
and webapp development.

In its current form yes, and no. The widgetry created in code - yes.
Where individual chunks of widgetry are located on a page - no. A page
can be all GWT or just a few bits of it quite easily. And all widgetry
is located via html and styled via css.

5.  It leaves you very locked into the tool and reliant on Google (could be
good or bad, but leaves me a bit uneasy).

I'd like to say "yes and no" but unfortunatley I can't. The compiler
and dev tool are not open source but everyting else is.

6.  It seems to be an all or nothing thing.  Use GWT or don't, there is no
use GWT on these couple of pages, but not the rest.

Nope - this is untrue.

7.  It seems to lend itself to the 'one very dynamic page' type of webapp,
which is great for some things, but unworkable for others.

This is true for a page that is all GWT widgets. Not true in general
as you can use the widgets as pieces of a regualr page (and even call
out to "native' js with ease). Somebody has already wrapped
Scriptaculous as a Java class with native method calls out.

8.  If you some reason you ever have to debug or tweak the output html or
javascript god help you, cause I won't.

You can set the compiler to output unobfuscated and uncompressed
javascript. So, it's no harder to debug the js than you choose it to
be.

Although, I despise debugging js and much prefer being able to debug
the java source code!

Like I said I have only had a quick look at it so some of my impressions my
be off base.  I can see cases where this would be the greatest thing since
sliced bread, and others where it would be a nightmare to work with.

It remains to be seen how GWT will go over. I like it. I wish I had
more free time to play with it. I think I've figured out how to
integrate GWT widgets with Tap (an approach anyway) but no time!

Geoff

--
Regards,

Steven Bell