On 6/7/06, Henri Dupre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Jerome,

I'm not sure to understand the whole problem...
For serving / instead of index.html that sounds to me more connected to your
apache configuration. Unless this is part of your tapestry/tomcat
application.

Well, my whole website should be served by Tomcat (later on Resin)
with an Apache front-end. I have /index.html being correctly served by
Tomcat (because my page has the proper name). But now I want to use
'/' instead of '/index.html' from everything: the url of the homepage,
the links generated to this page, etc.

Here is what I am trying to achieve for good SEO (Search Engine
Optimization): I want a 301 redirect to http://www.kalixia.com for the
domains kalixia.com, kalixia.fr and www.kalixia.fr (so far I've been
able to do it with Apache virtual hosts and mod_rewrite).

Now, for http://www.kalixia.com, I want to be able to have a 200
(content directly) instead of a 302 (default for a tapestry app with
the redirect filter). So I "cheated" a bit and used mod_rewrite in
order to rewrite http://www.kalixia.com to
http://www.kalixia.com/index.html (but this is using a 301 -- a bit
better for SEO than the 302 solution).

My problem is that search engines do see a lot of 301 going on... And
this is getting worse as most of the people linking to my website
makes a link to "http://www.kalixia.com"; and not
"http://www.kalixia.com/index.html"; (which is quite ugly).

Then for generating "/" links, there are many possibilities around... it
depends what kind of links do you want to generate "/".
You could either just implement an AbstractLink component and supply your
own ILink implementation.

I am using a simple PageLink component (I do not need to do anything
specific when the user click on the "goto home page" link). Your
solution seems to be just fine for what I need. I'm wondering though
if is better extending AbstractLink or PageLink. I guess I would
override the whole "logic" of PageLink so AbstractLink is probably
better...

Or if you want "/" for the home service for instance, I would rather
implement a ServiceEncoder.

What is the advantage over the previous solution?

I wrote several things like that for our website... I can send you some code
for either one...

I would definitely be interested in such things. That would probably
be something useful in the wiki too :-)

Nice to see other tapestry websites in France!

Well in a few weeks, I'll be able to add one more success story for a
HUGE client (I can't name it yet). The website is a learning website
(unfortunately everything will be private -- I'll make some
screenshots) which will have nearly 20 000 users with about 100
simultaneously (I'll probably need to tune things).

Anyway thanks for your help Henri.

Regards,
Jérôme.

On 6/7/06, Jérôme BERNARD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to make my website (http://www.kalixia.com) working fine
> for SEM (Search Engine Marketing). My current setup is an Apache
> front-end talking to a Tomcat server (using mod_jk).
>
> What I would like to be able to do is to have my home page
> (index.html) served by a request to '/' instead of '/index.html' (and
> of course to have links generated to '/' instead of '/index.html'). I
> can't figure out how to do it...
>
> Do I have to write my own kind of link component and link to the home
> of the website using this custom link component?
>
> If it is not possible to do such a thing, how could I setup my website
> so that I can avoid an HTTP 301 error (permanent redirection) to
> '/index.html' when the visitor is requesting the content of '/'?
>

> Regards,
> Jérôme.
>

> --
> Jérôme BERNARD,