Using gmane, you can access any mirrored mailing list (including all apache mailing lists):
 * using a web-based threaded reader with search
 * using a blog-like, flat interface with search
 * using an NNTP news reader
 * using any one of four variations of an rss feed

You can even search across multiple mailing lists at one time.

Epstein, Ezra wrote:
So I wanted to read up about putting multiple portlets/pages in a single
Tapestry portlet .war and went happily to the online mailing list archives and
what do I find:

The archives are segmented:
+ first by month (oh and only 3 months are online)
+ then by a "page" of "n" postings in a month.
+ there's no search feature.

This is why I deplore mailing lists.  They are so 1983.  Why don't all teams follow
Hibernate's (and others) lead and choose a simple Forum (phpBB in the case of Hibernate).
 It (like google/yahoo groups) is free, keeps all the old posts, is automatically
topically "threaded", is entirely searchable, if you're addicted to email you
can get posts as emails or, if you prefer, receive daily digests.  Why would anyone
continue to use an outdated technology like an email list?

Thanks, Ezra Epstein