Personally I don't believe the proposed changes are a significant shift in
the concept of how Tapestry works when compared to version 4.

If that is the case the upgrade from 4 to 5 would be a technical change
only.

On the technical part I should think that a "classic" API could exist in
Tapestry 5 to support the most common T4 constructs such as the abstract
page/component classes. hivemodule.xml could be parsed to generate
annotations and/or TODO comments.

Henrik