Thanks for your input guys.
I appreciate your reasoning - I guess I just had a different conceptual idea of
how Tapestry works!
I had already implemented the dummy page solution, but just didn't really like
it - it seemed a little messy against the backdrop of the rest of Tapestry.

If you look through the Tapestry object graph both Pages and Components inherit
from AbstractComponent, implementing both IComponent and IRender interfaces
(amongst others).  I just thought that given this, they were both intended to be
'components' yet indepentantly renderable and differ only in the sense that
Pages are user accessible whereas Components are not, but instead are descrete,
reusable parts.

rgds,
Dan