I'm not sure what the requirements are wrt properties and specific users.

I've done similar things on a "per request" basis via doing something like:

public abstract int getProp();
public abstract void setProp(int value);

public int getComplicatedValue()
{
 if(getProp() == -1) {
    // do something complicated
   setProp(newVal);
 }

return getProp();
}

The idea being that the heavy operation will only happen once for that
request/response cycle.

This all changes if you want it to be done for "all users" ? You can do that
as well I suppose but I think I probably need more clarification on who the
properties are supposed to be exposed to/etc..