Yes.  Since the filter applies http headers before the tapestry servlet
handles the request, you should be able to do this without issue.

How is your filter set up in your web.xml?

Here is mine (using pjl-comp-filter and servlet 2.4):
<filter>
  <filter-name>compress</filter-name>
<filter-class>com.planetj.servlet.filter.compression.CompressingFilter</filter-class>
  <!-- Adobe's plugin for IE chokes on gzip'ed PDFs -->
  <init-param>
    <param-name>excludeContentTypes</param-name>
    <param-value>application/pdf</param-value>
  </init-param>
  <init-param>
    <param-name>excludePathPatterns</param-name>
    <param-value>.*\.pdf</param-value>
  </init-param>
</filter>
<filter-mapping>