Thanks for the reply, Jesse.

> I think my original intention was to change some of the default error
> messages to give more specific information about the format that we
> want the input to be in. Rather than just saying "your input sucks,
> try again" and having them randomly type stuff in until they get it
> right.

I haven't looked at the messages for the other validators, but I think
the old message here was pretty clear.  "... must be a numeric value"
doesn't seem to leave much to the imagination.  Perhaps "... must be a
number" is a little clearer.  "Format is #." doesn't really enhance
anything, to me.  If I didn't know what a "numeric value" was, I sure as
hell am not going to know what "Format is #" means ;-)

> Perhaps the messages need to be looked at a little more closely on an
> individual basis, or ideally find some way to translate "#" type
> number format patterns into a more human friendly message ?

Well, while I'm all for improving the user experience, I never really
saw a problem with the old validator messages.  Given that the new
message breaks a bunch of integration tests I have, I'm even against the
change ;-)  Having said that, if there really was a usability issue with
the old ones, I think there is merit in investigating better messages.
But, keep in mind that most people will not override these strings, so
I'd leave developer help messages out (or have a debug mode toggle).

--
Kevin Menard
Servprise International