Sure, I can see the validity in the particular case of a simple number
format for numeric values. (except of course what will happen when
they input 3.14 ?)

As I've run out of time to really properly play with these for 4.1.1 I
may have to just revert to the old messages for now, but this is
definitely not the last you've heard of these kinds of changes. ;)

We have a sort of skunkworks project taking hold in the confines of
the dojo foundation to help attack usability (for end users of
applications) in general, so it's something I'll be attempting to
incorporate into Tapestry when possible. I know very little about the
area comparatively, but the others involved in the project are really
the best the industry has to offer - so it'll be an exciting time in
the next few releases.

On 12/3/06, Kevin Menard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Jesse.

> I think my original intention was to change some of the default error
> messages to give more specific information about the format that we
> want the input to be in. Rather than just saying "your input sucks,
> try again" and having them randomly type stuff in until they get it
> right.

I haven't looked at the messages for the other validators, but I think
the old message here was pretty clear.  "... must be a numeric value"
doesn't seem to leave much to the imagination.  Perhaps "... must be a
number" is a little clearer.  "Format is #." doesn't really enhance
anything, to me.  If I didn't know what a "numeric value" was, I sure as
hell am not going to know what "Format is #" means ;-)

> Perhaps the messages need to be looked at a little more closely on an
> individual basis, or ideally find some way to translate "#" type
> number format patterns into a more human friendly message ?

Well, while I'm all for improving the user experience, I never really
saw a problem with the old validator messages.  Given that the new
message breaks a bunch of integration tests I have, I'm even against the
change ;-)  Having said that, if there really was a usability issue with
the old ones, I think there is merit in investigating better messages.
But, keep in mind that most people will not override these strings, so
I'd leave developer help messages out (or have a debug mode toggle).

--
Kevin Menard
Servprise International

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo/(and a dash of TestNG), team member/developer