Sam Gendler wrote:
> The symbol you are seeing is the symbol used to denote 'locale
> specific currency symbol' in a format pattern.  What is strange is
> that if you don't have a symbol for that currency in your current
> locale, you should get the ISO 3-letter code (EUR, in this case)
> rather than a euro symbol.  Is it possible that you are escaping the
> currency symbol in your format string, so that the currency symbol
> itself is being rendered to the output, rather than having it replaced
> by the correct currency within the formatter?

The formatter is the standard Java formatter - so I don't escape
anything - I count on tapestry to do that.

The wrapper format object does not do anything with formatting, it just
manipulates the passed object before this is formatted by the java
currency format - it takes the long and passes a float which is the
original long divided by 100.

> The only other thought I have is that you are telling your browser
> that the file is UTF-8 via the meta header, but you may well not have
> told Tapestry to spit out UTF-8 characters, resulting in the browser
> rendering the generic currency symbol. Putting the <meta
> http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8"/> line in
> the template is not the only thing necessary to get your documents in
> UTF-8 correctly. That just tells the browsewr what to expect.
If I would, i would have used the tapestry configuration to change the
encoding - but actually I don't change the encoding at all, tapestry is
using utf-8 by default.

The line showing the meta in my postings was not taken from my template,
but from the html tapestry's shell component renders.

 Tapestry
> will use the default charset of the JVM when reading and writing to
> streams, so if your default charset is not a superset of UTF-8, you
> could easily wind up with characters that don't translate correctly.

Tapestry is set to use utf-8 by default - and I suspect it gets a string
"€ 1000" - and should encode it the right way.

> You can discover your default charset by simply printing
> Charset.defaultCharset() to your logs.  If you aren't running in
> UTF-8, try telling the JVM that is running Tapestry to use UTF-8.  You
> can only change the default charset at startup.  Add
> -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 to your JAVA_OPTS var before running tomcat.
> That will cause all templates and properties values to be rendered to
> the client as UTF-8.

I will look again at this problem at friday, and will debug into it to
learn more - this is somewhat heavier because using jboss, so debugging
isn't fun at all :(

Thanx !
Cheers,
Ron