I will look again at this problem at friday, and will debug into it to
learn more - this is somewhat heavier because using jboss, so debugging
isn't fun at all :(

Did you ever figure out what was going on with your bug?  I had
similar problems a very long time ago (so I can't remember the exact
details) and the tap config didn't fix it, while setting the
file.encoding property in the JVM did.  At the time, I was an absolute
novice with Tapestry, so I didn't investigate any deeper to see what
the problem was. It was also an older version of Tap. If you figured
it out, please post your response so we can make sure others discover
the solution with a little less work in future.  Thanks.

--sam