On 1/27/07, Hugo Palma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I think both are valid options. In my opinion both ways should be
provided by the framework and it should be a developers decision to use
the one that fits his needs/taste.

For me, the issue is that this puts an onus on the developers (us!) to
write much more code for components, while limiting their
functionality in the process (locking down some parameters as simple
read-only properties).

There's a lot of work involved in getting a parameter to work
properly, cache its value, reset at the end of the request, etc.,
etc., that under the current system, is handled efficiently and
automatically with runtime bytecode generation.  There was an endless
slew of bugs in the Tapestry 2 time frame with people who didn't
understand the nuances of page, component and parameter lifecycle.
The worst thing is when code works under a light developer load, and
then fails in production.  A lot of Tapestry historically has been
shielding the user so that code that appears to work in development
will in fact be just as valid, threadsafe, session-aware, etc. in
production.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
TWD Consulting, Inc.