Murray,
 I really enjoyed using Jetty with the Eclipse startup plugin on a
project I did a while back.  I would highly reccomend abandoing tomcat
for development and using Jetty during your development.  If you have
dependencies to tomcat functionality you might want to mock it out
during dev., it will definetly save you time.    Get the Jetty plugin
and I think you'll have alot of your issues resolved.

best,
-dh