Hi

Jesse Kuhnert <jkuhnert <at> gmail.com> writes:
> hibernate.org

This is a rather simplistic answer, however I have been away and read the
documentation and am not convinced that this is providing a method that will
warn a user if somebody else if already updating a record.

Even this example of pessimistic locking appears to allow for previous data
changes to be overwritten:
http://forum.springframework.org/archive/index.php/t-10188.html

What would convince me?

An example of a read-for-update operation that returned a condition (or
exception) indicating that the requested object was currently locked by another
user.  I'm yet to find that in Hibernate.

Cheers
mc