I got a good start on this, but still missing something fundamental.

In Page.java, I have the Sidebar component.
In Page.html, I pass the component in a parameter
<t:parameter name="sidebar">
        <t:sidebar/>
</t:parameter>

In Layout.java I have a sidebar block

@Parameter(required=true)
private Block _sidebar;

What I can't figure out is how to get the block to render.

Thanks for all of your suggestions so far!

Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
If the sidebar really changes for each page, then it can be a Block
parameter to the layout component. This will allow the layout
component to control where, within its templates, the sidebar appears.
Check out the t:parameter documentation.