I may be way off track, but adding recursive component support to print out
a menu or a tree
seems like a big overkill.

I have some hazy idea how this should be implemented:

in both cases we have a model with all the data we need,
a way to reuse single component (ActionLink) which would
generate events with an "id" extracted from current data element...
sth like cell renderers in swing.
ActionLink like this would always call same listener but with extra data
(id)