Hmm doesn't seem to be conjuring up any eurekas for me currently. .

I wonder what the difference is between your field and the fields on the
Workbench form?

http://opencomponentry.com:8080/workbench/Home,$Border.pageLink.sdirect?sp=SFields

It has a similar setup but I can't see where the error is happening.

What exact value should pass but is failing for you? Just to be sure.