I have the same requirement mentioned in #2.  What is the best approach to
handle this with Tapestry 5?  I am thinking of just eager loading a service
and invoking the init method in the builder method of the module.  Any other
thoughts?

I think this was the Tapestry 4 way:
http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4/tapestry/hivedocs/module/tapestry.init.html

Ben