Ah. I think there was a misunderstanding on how AppModule/Tapestry IoC works (maybe). And we also got confused.

Within AppModule/TapestryIoC, the correct annotation is @InjectService("name").

But you can review the documentation to make sure that we're all on the same page:
http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tapestry-ioc/service.html

And another reminder:

Tapestry IoC does not enhance the classes, so the private variable enhancement does not work like it works in base/pages/components.

So this will not work!

public class Service {
  @Inject
  @Service("name")